What are the major lifestyle changes you need to make for cancer care?
Given below are the major lifestyle changes which cancer patients need to make for effective care:
- Have Social Support around you
Having a network of supportive people is extremely beneficial to your health. Many studies have compared people with cancer that get social support and have improved health. No doubt, when we have people around us it makes a lot of difference. If you are not sure about what to do then visit the cancer hospital in Ludhiana. Social support leads to a better quality of life and you can live longer.
Given below are some of the suggestions you need to take for building a support system:
- You should ask people for help or have someone to listen to you. Your loved ones want to help but they are not sure about what to do. So, make sure your requests are specific.
- Take part in a support group. Share with others who have a similar experience and they can help you cope up with the situation easily.
- Take part in the support group. Sharing with others with similar experiences will help you deal with the situation.
- Manage stress
Reducing the stress level will help you maintain your mental and physical health. Given below are some of the tips to do that:
- Opt for relaxation methods like guided imagery, yoga, and meditation.
- Take a small amount of time to reflect throughout the day or meditate. You need to be mindful while washing the hands, waiting at a stoplight, or brushing the teeth.
It is best to set aside 20 minutes or more every day for having stress management practices.
- Get enough amount of sleep
Make sure to get around 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night. This improves coping ability, health, weight, mood, attention, and memory. You should set bedtime and then stick to it. Make sure your bedroom is as dark as possible. You need to keep the bedroom temperature cool. This includes spending time on TV, backlit tablets, and smartphones. You need to avoid stimulants like sugar, alcohol, and caffeine.
- Exercise regularly
You need to exercise during and after cancer treatment. This will reduce fatigue, loss of strength, and weight gain. Along with regular exercise, you should avoid sitting or lying down for a long time. Given below are some of the top tips:
- Maintain a fitness routine that is safe for you.
- Include strength exercise.
- Find ways to walk when you would be sitting normally.
- Break up sitting time when you are standing up.
- Add physical activity into the daily routine with family events, trips, and time with friends.
- Eat well
Tips to help you develop healthy eating habits:
- Eat food with high fiber which includes beans, peas, lentils, nuts, seeds, and whole grains.
- Choose less red meat like lamb, goat, veal, bison, fish, pork, and poultry.
- Limit the consumption of alcohol and do not smoke.